Friday, February 10, 2006

Is "push" here to stay?

Here is a link to an interesting post from Jay Cross about John Hagel's session on push and pull with the eLearning Forum:
http://internettime.com/wordpress2/?p=14

I'm a big fan of pull. I think it's wonderful to be in the driving seat of my learning journey. I promote pull at every opportunity. I tell people it's the way forward and we should look to include an increasing measure of pull in all our blends. Yada yada yada. But there was a comment on the post from Will Thalheimer that gave me pause. It boiled down to people being lazy and opting for push as being easier. Ideally, I would have liked to leap up on my soapbox with some definitive argument against this, but...

I am trying to lose 5kgs. I am a busy woman. I don't have time to sit down and calculate how many calories each meal/drink/snack constitutes. So I downloaded a complete meal plan off the internet. Every meal, every snack, every day for the next 12 weeks. Even a shopping list so that I can buy the right stuff to be able to prepare said meals and snacks. How's that for push?

On the other hand, like so much push stuff, the one-size-fits-all approach is a problem: it doesn't fit me. The lunches are very elaborate and there is no way I could prepare them at work. Nor do I have the time to prepare them at home and bring them with me to work. I can't imagine who their target audience is. But instead of revising the lunches and rejigging the whole programme to suit me, I just looked for another, more suitable push-type programme.

I guess this pull-disciple just uncovered her own hypocrisy!

Tags:

No comments: