Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Twenty years, and still going strong

28 May 1988
Once I believed that when love came to me
It would come with rockets, bells and poetry
But with me and you, it just started quietly and grew
And believe it or not
Now there's something groovy and good
'bout whatever we've got
And it's getting better
Growing stronger
Warm and wilder
Getting better everyday

(Mama Cass: It's getting better)

Looks like we made it
Look how far we've come my baby
I'm glad we didn't listen
Look at what we would have been missing
They said, "I'll bet they never make it"
But just look at us holding on
Still together, still going strong
You're still the one...

(Shania Twain: Still the one)

6 comments:

Mark Berthelemy said...

Congratulations Karyn!

Anonymous said...

Thanks - is that Mark Oehlert or Mark Berthelemy? When I click the link it tells me your profile can't be viewed. Weird.

Anonymous said...

'Twas Mark B! I'll have to use a different identity...

Anonymous said...

@Mark - I think the congratulations are due to John, along with a long service award and a lot else besides!

@jago Wow indeed. It's not quite half my life, but it's long enough that my husband is an integral part of my world view.

Anonymous said...

Really beautiful pictures Karyn and it is very comforting to know that marriages can grow stronger. I doubt these things when I am in an argument or sometimes when I observe from far. At other time I am happy and contented. You both look made for each other.

Anonymous said...

@rina Thanks. Let me assure you that it hasn't all been smooth sailing! There have been times when our marriage has only survived because we have both opted to say "I choose us" (a line from the movie "Family Man" with Nicholas Cage and Tea Leoni). But we have both worked at it, and here we are.

Shortly before we got married, my boss's husband (they were both Polish with an occasionally whimsical grasp of English) told me: "Marriage is not give and take, 50/50. It is give and give, 100/100. Then everything will be hanky panky." I know he meant to say "hunky-dorey" but when I told him about it later, my husband and I laughingly agreed that we far preferred the notion of hanky panky ;o)