Monday, June 30, 2008

Okay, so it's a shirt...

I've been thinking about incorporating reward in learning design, and a recent examination of a few (men's - more's the pity!) designer shirts got my thoughts in churning again. Take a look at this...
It's a shirt, right? A grey shirt. Right, if that's all you want it to be. But this particular designer takes care to build in a few surprises for people who care to look for them. Things like this little blue button on the sleeve.








And this very bright pink lining which is only revealed when you turn the sleeve up.






And these little insets on the shoulder, better visible on this shirt:









How about this little inset on side?









Or this silk knot cuff link that comes free with those shirts with no cuff buttons?







If you want a shirt, well you get a shirt. But if you take the time to explore, you find all sorts of little surprises. Far more than I have listed here (although not all on the same shirt, I hasten to add!)

Perhaps we need to build a few things like this into our learning resources. If you want sheep-dip box-ticking, you can have it, but for those who take the time and the trouble, there are a few extra little 'rewards'.

Just a thought.

But so few people can be bothered to look for these things, Karyn. Why are you going to spend all that extra time and money for that meagre handful? Where is the return on the investment, Karyn? Well, why should those precious few motivated learners be punished with ho-hum learning just because the many can't be bothered? Perhaps they will exclain over a hidden 'treasure' and motivate the bloke at the next desk to seek it out.

Or am I just being naieve? Again.

Shirts designed by Oswald Boateng, and while you're at it, what do you think of his website?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will keep this in mind as I work up a design. Thanks this will be at the back of my mind while I am working. Yesterday I asked my son'tell me which place boasts the largest population of Indians abroad?' He came up with-Nepal,UK, US but not SA. So I gave him a clue. Well, Mahatma Gandhi lived there. He says' South Africa' lol. The ways you enrich my life Karyn. Thanks. You know the women in India are much more westernised than the immigrants. Maybe they become over conscious of the treasured values and culture. What West has been India is becoming now. Teen age pregnancies, pubs, Discs and living-in. (Jumping to other topic) Sarees are wonderful, just a 5.5 meters of sheer creativity and timeless. There is a petticoat that's worn beneath and a blouse. I got two wow crepe blouses designed. I posted it in my blog my husband gifted me two crepe sarees for getting a first div in M.Sc. Is any thing left. Yes, Karyn I observed I usemy hands alot while talking. Now I am done with woman-to woman talk. Hugs and love.

Anonymous said...

Karyn, this is a great thought! Video games often have these "hidden treasures" that hard-core players are always looking for and there's no reason that this concept shouldn't be applied to e-learning. As you point out, this can create additional incentive and once word gets out, then others might go looking for the same things.

I also think that this is a central principle of great design--having these little surprises that turn something ho-hum into something spectacular!

Anonymous said...

@rina and michelle - Glad to have set the wheels churning. I know that the people who design software apps build in 'easter eggs' - I've seen one or two of the Excel examples. I'm not recommending anything quite so elaborate and anorak-y, but these little touches that Oz adds to his shirts have become his signature. He does the same sort of thing with his suits: a conservative looking grey suit might turn out to have canary yellow lining in the jacket. I love the idea.

Anonymous said...

I've always been one to appreciate the little special details in life. That is perhaps why I'd rather go to boutiques then stores, quaint cafés then restaurants, etc.

I even find as a consultant, adding these little "finishing touches" makes all the difference in client relationship management.

PS - Yes, I'm finally blogging now ;-)

Anonymous said...

@technogenii Welcome on board, Kristina! So all those shoes are boutique bought? I'm impressed!

Anonymous said...

Ah Karyn! Many of them are actually bought in boutiques, even if they are brand names, but not all, I'll admit.

Unfortunately, boutiques are getting more rare and big outlet malls and mega brand name stores are all the rage! But I still have my little delightful spots!

And to tie it all back to your topic, it's really about the special touches.

Jackie Cameron said...

I recognised that it was Ozwald Boateng before I got to the end of your post. He is a genius. Small quirky touches and he is immediately recognisable. My son worked in a shop that sold Boateng and he ached to have one. He is a newly graduating designer himself ( not fashion though) - so maybe one day.
We could all learn from this - thanks for such an imaginative post.

Anonymous said...

@Jackie My husband works for a company that distributes some of Oz's lines (among others) in the UK. As a result, he owns more designer clothes than is decent, and as our sons grow into men's sizes, their own wardrobes boast an increasing proportion of designerwear. Whatever you do, don't tell your son!

I keep telling him it's high time he went to work for Karen Millen or Oasis!

The shirts featured here in this post are among those purchased for our older son who is about to start 6th form in September. It hardly seems decent to send a 16 year old to school wearing Ozwald Boateng, but when you can get that sort of quality for the same price you would normally pay for a bog-standard shirt, well...