Friday, December 12, 2008

One-buttock learning

Two separate people commented on my recent post with a link to this video. You'll have to watch it to discover what the title of this post means.

I was so touched by Zander's passion I called my beleaguered elder son to come and watch it with me. I wish I could say that the light came on in his eyes, but that would be a gross exaggeration. I have encouraged him to undertake the time travel Zander suggests and write a letter from his future self. He said he'd give it a go. I hated school myself, and was badly suited to its rigours and restrictions, but I have since managed to find the secret to "one-buttock learning".

If I could have one Christmas wish, it would be that my son would unlock that secret, and if it can't apply to learning, that he would at least rediscover his zest for life and all that it has to offer.

Anyone out there in a position to give me the yearning of my heart?

2 comments:

Harold Jarche said...

Wherever he gets the inspiration it probably won't be from his parents. If you can get him out, without you, meeting some interesting people who are passionate about what they do, then there may be a spark.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Karyn, this is wonderful. I read about what you are facing with the marvelous kid. My situation is opposite, I have always liked the kids to take it easy but my son is fiercely competitive and he keeps score of each half mark and after each exam they have long drawn conversations about how the answer should have been written and what made them loose a mark. I ask him to take it easy but the company he keeps puts him into an overdrive about competing. He is also into music and there too they have this aggressive stance, yesterday he came home grumbling their audition was postponed and that bands in eleventh grade. I feel moderation is the way, since peer pressure is making my son work the system, do you think in your case that will work? Don't really know but I love reading about your boys and admire their creativity(the shoe rack) and the vitality. By the way, my son read your post about the x box and was cribbing about his not having one when I pointed out that they had bought it with their own money! Take care and thanks for sharing and much Christmas cheer!